Contact: Paula, 770-500-6718
Are You a Compulsive Eater?
- Do I eat when I'm not hungry, or not eat when my body needs nourishment?
- Do I go on eating binges for no apparent reason, sometimes eating until I'm stuffed or even feel sick?
- Do I have feelings of guilt, shame or embarrassment about my weight or the way I eat?
- Do I eat sensibly in front of others and then make up for it when I am alone?
- Is my eating affecting my health or the way I live my life?
- When my emotions are intense—whether positive or negative—do I find myself reaching for food?
- Do my eating behaviors make me or others unhappy?
- Have I ever used laxatives, vomiting, diuretics, excessive exercise, diet pills, shots or other medical interventions to try to control my weight?
- Do I fast or severely restrict my food intake to control my weight?
- Do I fantasize about how much better life would be if I were a different size or weight?
- Do I need to chew or have something in my mouth all the time: food, gum, mints, candies or beverages?
- Have I ever eaten food that is burned, frozen or spoiled; from containers in the grocery store; or out of the garbage?
- Are there certain foods I can't stop eating after having the first bite?
- Have I lost weight with a diet or "period of control" only to be followed by bouts of uncontrolled eating and/or weight gain?
- Do I spend too much time thinking about food, arguing with myself about whether or what to eat, planning the next diet or exercise cure, or counting calories?
Have you answered "yes" to several of these questions? If so, it is possible that you have, or are well on your way to having, a compulsive eating or overeating problem.
Overeaters Anonymous is a Twelve Step support group for those who suffer from the need to compulsively overeat.
Do you suspect food rules your life? Overeaters Anonymous may be the answer for you. It is not a diet club, but a Fellowship of people recovering from compulsive overeating. OA offers mutual support. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop eating compulsively. There are no dues, fees or weigh-ins.
Join us every Thursday at 6:00 pm in the Family Life Center-Bethlehem Room. Call Paula at 770-500-6718 or Janet at 678-409-5174 for more information.
OA New Year's Resolution
Another new year, another new year’s resolution. This year will be the year I lose the weight. This will be the year I start exercising regularly. This will be the year I give up sweets. This will be the year I stop lying to myself, my friends and my family about what and how much I actually eat. Have you ever heard yourself make these promises, maybe even wrote them down and posted them on the refrigerator, only to be back in your old patterns within days or weeks? Join us as we talk to OA members who have been there and found another way in OA.
Article is from OA.org website.