To speak the Word of God with our hands for those who hear with their eyes.
The Deaf Ministry at Transfiguration has as its mission the support and encouragement of Deaf Catholics in their faith lives. Our programs and services assist members of the Deaf community in sharing their gifts. We encourage leadership by the Deaf within the Catholic community and beyond. At the basis of our ministry is a deep respect for the language of the Deaf and their Culture.
Monthly Deaf Social
We will not have our regular Deaf Social on Saturday, September 9th. Instead on Saturday, September 16, 2017, at 4:00 p.m., we will celebrate Mass in ASL with Father Shawn Carey, a Deaf Priest from Boston, Mass.
Deaf Mass will be held in the Chapel at the Archdiocese of Atlanta, 2401 Lake Park Drive, SE, Smyrna, GA 30080.
A potluck social will be held after Mass. Please bring a dish to share. Drinks and tableware will be provided.
Deaf, H/H, Students of ASL, Friends, Family ... All Are Welcome!
For more information, contact Judie Zervic,
Click here to visit the Archdiocese of Atlanta Website for the Office of Deaf Services page.
Check this website often for news and additional interpreted services.
- National Catholic Office for the Deaf - www.NCOD.org
- Archdiocese of Atlanta - www.archatl.com/ministries/disabilities/
- Father Shawn Carey at Eucharistic Congress - www.georgiabulletin.org/blog/news/2014/06/american-sign-language-track-participants-asked-christ-fit/
- Father Christopher Klusman at Eucharistic Congress- https://georgiabulletin.org/news/2016/06/father-klusman-encourages-mercy-eyes-hands-deaf/
- Father Michael Depcik - www.frmd.org
- RASL - www.rockforddiocese.org/deafapostolate/raslweek/
American Sign Language Classes
The Transfiguration Deaf Ministry offers two levels of ASL instruction, beginner and intermediate. All classes are taught by Deaf teachers who are members of the Transfiguration Deaf Ministry. Class size is limited and registration is required. Contact Judie Zervic -
- Tuesday evenings 7:30-8:30 p.m. in Room 105 of the Parish Center. Classes begin in September after Labor Day and end in May. We follow the Cobb and Cherokee County School System calendars for holidays and inclement weather closings. This class is for ages 14 through adult who have little or no previous knowledge of ASL.
- Tuesday evenings 7:30-8:30 p.m. in Room 106 of the Parish Center. Classes begin in September after Labor Day and end in May. We follow the Cobb and Cherokee County School System calendars for holidays and inclement weather closings.